When you are shopping online for a Chanel bag, we can imagine that your biggest concern is the authenticity of the designer item.
You have to be sure you are investing in a real piece and not
the copy. How to find out this bag of your dreams is real?
At Vintage-United we are committed to a zero-tolerance,
anti-counterfeit policy and we guarantee absolute authenticity
of every item sold on the website, so you can shop with confidence.
But for you own reinsurance there are some simple tips from various
experts on how to recognise the authentic Chanel bag from a fake one.
But first there is a short history of the iconic 2.55 bag.
- Burgundy lining - The most of Chanel bags have burgundy red lining.
Chanel picked this exact shade because it reminded her of the uniforms she wore growing up in a convent. The modern bags have offten a matching lining, dipending on the production season.
- Hidden compartment - Once shoppers open the outer flap, they see a small zippered compartment.
This was where Chanel stashed her love letters, according to legend.
- Back outer pocket - Outside the handbag is a back pocket.
Chanel designed it this way so that women could stash money there without having to open their purse.
- Shoulder strap - The delicate chains on the 2.55 mimic the key chains worn by the nuns in the convent
where Chanel grew up.
- Mademoiselle lock - The front lock has a special locking mechanism called a Mademoiselle lock.
Chanel, who never married, gave the lock its name.
- Interlocking CC lock - Karl Lagerfeld updated the 2.55 design in the 1980s by introducing the interlocking CC, a monograph of Coco Chanel. He also added the iconic chain strap with leather woven through. The new style pattern for House of Chanel was born.
1. The CC logo.
An ultimate sign for detecting authenticity of a Chanel bag is the position of CC logo. The right C should overlap on top, and the left C should overlap on the bottom. If it’s the other way around, it’s a fake. Whatever there can be exceptions. The width of the C should also match the width of the horizontal gap between the two CC’s
2.The turn lock.
The double CC lock is the most recognisable design on the Classic Chanel bag. This iconic lock was designed by Karl Lagerfeld for Chanel. The lock on the authentic bag must be flat in shape and wide in font type. Whereas the lock on the fake bag is thinner in font type and bulky, rounder in shape. The lock designed by Coco Chanel herself is rectangular in shape, it was introduced in February 1955. In February 2005 Hous of Chanel released an exact copy of the original 2.55 in commemoration of the 50th anniversary of the creation of the original bag.
3. CHANEL label.
4. Quilting and stitching
On an authentic Chanel, the quilt stitching should line up neatly on the front flap and back pocket. The ‘diamond’ quilt stitching on a real Chanel bag are much squarer. The authentic Chanel which has a high stitch count doesn’t look puffy.
5. Chain straps
6. The zipper
7. Serial number cart
8. Serial sticker.
- 6 digit codes-bag was made some time between 1984 and 1986.
- 7 digit codes-handbag was made between 1986 and 2004.
- 8 digit codes have been used since 2005 until TODAY.
Anything over 8 digits is not authentic.
We hope this short guide will help you to shop Chanel bag online with confidence.
Find your ultimate dream CHANEL BAG on Vintage-United.